Jeremy Paxman, on the Newsnight politics indoctrination programme, usually makes Hugh Hendry wear a dreadful BBC-issue grey tie, whenever he imbibes knowledge from the whimsical Scottish genius.
Fortunately, the organisers of a recent financial conference had the good sense to avoid restricting the bloodflow to Hugh’s brain, in such fashion, by refusing to garrote him with Jeremy’s usual excruciating device.
As a result, we get the full Hugh experience, delivered to us in five mighty bursts of carotidised artery oxygenation.
Ignore everyone else, unless you have a full spare hour, and just go for these Hendry highlights, where Chairman Hugh shares his thoughts about the world in general, and Europe in particular, in the video below, at the following times. I can’t say I agree with everything he says, but as Mr Spock might have said, it is all very interesting:
- 12:00 – You can’t make up how bad it is
- 30:09 – If you want to understand the German mind, you have to speak to a Brit
- 46:05 – What is going on is a transfer of economic rent
- 52:40 – Those who know something best, love it least (prediction of higher dollar!)
- 1:02:10 – I can’t finish Ayn Rand’s ‘Atlas Shrugged’ (because she is describing the world of today)
- 1:10:20 – I think we are single digit years away from the most profound market clearing moment